Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Brocoflower - Brocoli and Cauliflower

The good thing about going shopping every once in a while is that you get to see weird hybrid or genetically modified produce. So while we were walking in Jusco the other day, we saw this particularly weird vegetable. From far it looked like the shell of a Sri Lankan Star Tortise - minus the extra bumps and added extra chlorophyll (green pigment in plants that aids photosyntheses).

China BroccoflowersBut upon inspection of it's label, it was a Broccoflower. Which is a hybrid of broccoli and cauliflower. Based on Taste.com you can cook it like cooking broccoli or cauliflower and it's nutritious in vitamin C.

China Broccoflower

3 comments:

  1. It's the first time I see a broccoflower like that. I really appreciate those people working hard for producing these cultivars. The results are very interesting. Just a few days ago I published a post about apple mangoes on Cookies of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to give it a try and see how it tasted but my husband refused to buy it not because of the price (RM6.50 for 500gm) but because it looks weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my husband would act the same ;). Unlike me, he's also not an adventures eater.

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED