Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Miso Udon Breakfast

School has restarted this week after a month long holiday and I get to use the kitchen in the mornings again (my MIL is a kindergarten school teacher). Since my hubby and I are the only two people in the house that LOVES Japanese food, we bought Miso and Udon from the supermarket for breakfast.

Miso LabelThe Miso is a Japanese food produced by fermenting rice, barley and/or soy creating a paste. This paste is then mixed with Dashi soup stock to serve. We bought Miso, Udon (wheat-flour noodles), sea weed (there are two types - ready-to-eat and for cooking, get the cooking type) and water tofu (there are many kinds of tofu but the most suitable tofu is the wet kind commonly known here as 'water tofu'). Basically everything we bought was instant so it was easy to prepare even though everything was written in Japanese and I don't understand Japanese.
Miso Udon Soup ingredientsWhen the packaging is removed, it looks like the picture below. The only extra work I had to do was cut the tofu into cubes.

Miso Udon IngredientsBasically, the process was simple. First, bring the miso to boil, then add all the other ingredients into the miso soup and bring it to boil again. Serve while hot. Bon Appetite!

Miso Udon - Bon Appetite Dishes like these are actually easy to prepare and delicious. Of course some people may not approve of such instant dishes as it is commonly associated with 'full of preservatives' and unhealthy. Yet the Japanese have been living on such instant food since the development of instant noodles and they seem fine with it. Anyway, I guess the best way to put this is that we should eat everything in moderation.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I'll see if they are selling Miso Udon here. I sure like to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rosidah!

    I guess I forgot to mention that the Miso and Udon are sold separately. I bought frozen Udon while the Miso is actually instant Miso soup. If you know a particular area populated with Japanese residence, it won't be difficult for you to find shops selling Japanese products.

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED