Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

If only this is our school’s history text book

Eugene Yu featured in Going Places Magazine - Malaysia Airlines in flight magazine
Last month when my hubby got me a Sudoku puzzle book, he bought a comic book about our country’s first prime minister – the late Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj's road to Independence by a local author, Eugene Yu. I know my husband is a fan of comic books (especially Japanese Manga) BUT as far as I know he doesn’t like history very much. In fact the both of us never quite liked our school history text books because it was EXTREMELY boring and there wasn’t much input. Soon we even came to find out that the facts were very much distorted just to suit the powers that be (or so it seemed…).

E Yu’s comic on the late Tunku was fascinating – there’s even an article featuring him in the September issue of Malaysia Airlines in-flight magazine. It is history in cartoon format so the words were simple and short - it is the picture that tells the tale. To make the entire comic interesting, the author blended current day hypes. For instance a scene on Tunku in London’s train station was drawn to look like a comic version of Harry Potter in search of platform 9¾.

Simply said, we were laughing from beginning till the end. However, the story ended with the late Tunku’s proclamation of being an independent state on the morning of August 31st 1957 in Dataran Merdeka. Honestly, I was rather disappointed that the story ended there. I mean the least the author could do is simplified that happened after Merdeka (Independence) right up to his final days on Earth. But I think if he were to do that, the book would end up double it's current size and so will the price (^^,) - do note that his first book on Tun Dr. Mahathir (Malaysia's 4th Prime Minister) is half the size (and half the price) compared to this book on Tunku.

Unfortunately, this comic isn’t the reference book to our history exam paper. But only if our school’s text book were this interesting, it would be surely be more fun to learn AND easy to remember!

4 comments:

  1. I'm right behind you on this issue, Waileng! The school textbooks should be more interesting. My daughter has a comic book on natural science and it is a great joy for my kids to read it. Wish there were more books like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rosidah!

    Isn't it amazing that kids can remember things via comics far better than reading those boring school text books? What's worse when the book itself has spelling or grammar errors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These spelling and grammar errors get on my nerve, too. It seems that the quality of books was better in my school days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eugene, I would like to congratulate you for the success of your book. I'm currently producing a documentary about Tun Dr Mahathir and Tun Dr Siti Hasmah mohd Ali. We hoping to air it next year in 2011 internationally.

    I've read your book and it's really great. I would like to connect with you to discuss a business opportunity. If you could leave me your personal email, I would like to discuss with you further about this.

    I will be in Malaysia in from Sept to Oct.

    My personal email is :
    sophia@switchflickproductions.com.au

    my website is :
    http://www.switchflickproductions.com.au

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Cheers
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED