Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Baked Chicken and Mashed Potato Casserole

Baked chicken mashed potato casserole
A few weeks ago when I was channel surfing on Astro at my in-law's home when I bumped into Asian Food Channel and they were showing "Cook like a Chef". The chef on that episode was Georges Laurie and he was fusing fruits into his cooking which was very interesting. The dish that caught my attention was Baked Chicken Casserole/Apple Potato Crust which I later found this recipe from Food Network.

Anyway, I made my own variation because apples are not a native fruit of Malaysia. And I'm not too sure which imported apple should I be using. So here's the recipe for my version fit for 2.
  • 500 grams Chicken fillet cut into cubes
  • 500 grams Potato cut into chunks or wedges for fast cooking (use more potato if you are a potato lover) or you can substitute real potato with instant mashed potato instead.
  • 1 and 1/2 cup of mixed vegetables (corn, carrot and peas)
  • 1 packet of instant brown sauce (I used IKEA's instant meatball sauce because that's what I have left in my kitchen)
  • 25 grams of butter
  • some oil to saute the chicken or you can use butter
  • dried basil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper (to season the chicken and some to be added into the mashed potato)
  • Milk or cream for the mashed potato (optional)

Season the chicken cubes with dried basil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Keep it in the fridge for an hour OR you can have this done the night before to allow the chicken to absorb the herbs. I did it the night before and the chicken turned out beautifully.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.

Boil the potato in slightly salted water. You can use the same pot of water to cook the mix vegetables, no harm done. Then drain the potato and mash it with a potato masher or anything to your convenience. Add butter and the herbs into the mashed potato. For a creamer taste, add milk or cream. If you are using instant mashed potato, just cook according to the instructions and add the herbs, butter and cream/milk.

Heat some oil on a frying pan and saute the chicken until cooked.

For the sauce, just cook according to the instructions on the packet.

Now, take a casserole and line it with a little butter. Lay a layer of mashed potato at the base. Then add the cooked chicken, mixed vegetables and gravy. And finally cover the top with another layer of mashed potato.

Place the casserole into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is slightly golden brown.

---

I know the picture may not look tempting. But I got a thumbs up from my dear hubby which means he likes the dish and wouldn't mind me cooking this again in future~! (^_^)

Bon Appetite! Itadakimasu!

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy~~ its been a while since my last attempt to cook =__=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hayley,
    I highly recommend it if you enjoy eating mashed potato. (^_^)
    But it's not always I have the time to cook. Especially when this month there's many weddings to attend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last shot looks very tempting! You made me hungry (^_^)d

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rosidah! I was a little worried that the picture might look a little mushy.

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED