Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

Toying with Greed

Since my creative brain reservoir is suffering from drought at the moment, I might as well share something I just did a moment ago - an hour ago to be exact. This morning at exactly 8.22am, I was rudely awaken by an sms. Upon checking this sms, it wasn't your regular spam sms by the mobile company or their advertisers. It was a message from another mobile phone saying that I've "won" some amount of money and I have to call their office which is another mobile number. Please forgive the blurry image. My beloved Lumix TZ-1's censors are beginning to fail. Old age perhaps. But she's been a loyal camera and trying very hard to give her best shot.
The message was sent by +60178623195 reads as follows "TAHNIAH" Simcard anda b'jaya menagi RM30.000.00-No.PIN:DT2547, Dri"COCA-COLA" Sila hub. Office: +60178982779. Terima Kasih" or the English translation "CONGRATULATIONS" Your sim card has won RM30.000.00 - Pin Number: DT2547 From "COCA-COLA" Please call office :+60178982779. Thank you"

At first I wanted to delete the sms and just carry on with my life. It's SO OBVIOUS that it's a scam for the greedy. BUT THEN, my naughty side of the brain kept nudging me a cheeky idea to blog about it (plus contact Fraser & Neave Holdings (Malaysia) - the company who owns distribution rights to Coke just to inform them that their brand has been misused for malicious intent) and see where this thing might lead to. At least I can make use of my "experience as a sleuth" from playing Nancy Drew games in trying to find contacts - which is never difficult, thanks to Google.

So after taking picture of the sms on my mobile phone, I wrapped it up in a nice little email to a contact person from F&N and we'll see what happens. Come to think of it, 30K is a huge amount of money for any average Malaysian - that's like ten thousand worth of 1.5 liters of Coke (assuming each bottle cost MRY3.00). I could use the money to subsidize my wedding next year OR if I get 30K in coke supplies I still can use it to serve all my guest (^_^). But obviously it's never going to happen because I will NOT reply to such hoax.

Anyway, will update you when I get a reply from F&N... or if there is any at all

8 comments:

  1. scam la..
    i wonder why people are doing such thing.. =P

    kenwooi.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick cash I guess. By the way, love your boob posts. It's very innovative of you! (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes these scams really get on the nerves. It's unbelievable what people are trying to get you in! Still, there are always victims who like the thought of easy cash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you Rosidah. Since these unscrupulous people have no shame in what they do, might as well publish their mobile numbers for the world to see (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received similar sms(s) too but i just ignore it. some even worse, call you and ask you to provide them IC number and other infor.. thats too much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow~! Indeed that is too much.

    Btw, this gives me an idea to list down the phone numbers of all those scam smses in one dedicated blog post. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also got this sms few minutes ago he he he

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you took the decision to investigate this sms before taking any action (^_^)

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED