Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

Knit, Knat, Knot

When a good friend of mine got into a long distance relationship, it was like dooms day for her. Just the thought of being alone on one island while the other is on another island 4,449km away, was torturing. The only escape was to keep her mind busy especially at nights and during weekends. The solution? Knitting. Once she started knitting, she couldn't stop. On weekend nights she could sometimes knit till dawn. Motivated? I sure was.

Before Youtube era, the only tutorial you get is either from the shops who sells knitting stuffs, knitting starter packs or 2D pencil drawings on websites. Now that you can search Knitting for Beginners on YouTube, and get about 273 videos. So here I have linked videos for 4 most basic steps - casting on, knit, purl and casting off.

Casting on - all knitting begins when you cast yarn onto your knitting sticks.

Knit - The basics of basics

Purl - the reverse action of knitting.

Casting off - finish your knitting by knitting the yarn off the stick.

Knitting patterns are made of knits and purls. When you knit from start to end, you'll get garter stitch which looks something like this.

If you alternate one row knit and another row of purl, you'll get stockinette stitches like this

My friend made a scarf for her boyfriend, but it's so hot in Malaysia I doubt hubby will ever need one. So I'll be a bit more practical and knit a BAG. When completed I'll sure upload on my blog. (^_^)
 

2 comments:

  1. Happy knitting! You sure inspire me with many things. I wish I still had the time to knit. It would be lovely to make my own bag or presents for beloved ones. Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend,

    I'm rushing to enjoy every moment before planning for kids. Based on experience by my many friends and relatives - the phase "Me Time" has cease to exist the moment their children are born.

    So I guess this is my only moment to learn a little bit of this and that (^_^)

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED