Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

My First online Shopping

Let's face the facts that shopping via the Internet is nothing new. Some can spurge up to thousands a month by just clicking here and there. But not all Internet purchases are sunny side up. There are stories of individuals being cheated of their money. And with all those horror stories being added up, it kind of freaked me out in wanting to buy anything online.

Anyway, last month I saw an advertisement on another blogger's site. Cheeserland was advertising about this particular online company which sells cosmetic products at discounted prices. The company Best Buy World is registered to a Hong Kong company Yinlai Trading (HK) Limited and the Malaysian branch is a company called Telescan Network Sdn Bhd. Unfortunately, I couldn't get much information from the website so I did an additional Googling. I found out that there is another identical company under the name Best Buy World but one registered in Singapore and another in Indonesia. Then I saw the difference in the URL, the Singapore company is written as http://sg.bestbuy-world.com while the Malaysian company is written as http://my.bestbuy-world.com/ and the Indonesian company as http://id.bestbuy-world.com/. I clicked on the Singaporean website and found the "parent company" is written as Bestbuy World (HK) Limited which is the same as the Indonesian site. A little different from the Malaysian site but never the less, the street address on all three sites are the same. Perhaps all the companies are of the same bosses.
The only reason that made me wanted to buy from this site is because they are selling samples at a reasonable price. Let's do some simple maths here. For example a 100ml bottle of cleanser is sold at MYR100 (retail price) while the samples that are sold is only MYR10 for 15ml. So if I were to buy 7 bottles of 15ml samples from this site, I only pay MYR70 for a total of 105ml. Which means I save MYR30! But this isn't exactly my reasoning of purchasing from them. I actually saw a pallet of lip colors (4 shades) sold at MYR35. Retail stores hardly sell you these pallets in fact these samples are only given if you've spent like hundreds of Ringgit buying their products. And since I need some new lip colors for my wedding I thought maybe I should just get it. It's better than spending MYR50 or so for just ONE color.

So I've decided to put my money to the test. I placed order of the lip color along with a few more items to qualify for free delivery charges (if I spend a total of MYR100 and above I get free delivery via Pos Laju). I made my order two weeks ago but delayed payment until Tuesday when my salary cleared. And today the items are delivered to my office as requested! The sample pack is indeed small but since I'll rarely put on makeup, I bet I'll only be using it ONCE!
Things I bought from them. Shiseido sun block (SPF34) MYR20 for 2 bottles of 7ml each.
Estee Lauder lip color pallet of 4 colors at MYR35 and that green bottle is also from
Estee Lauder, pore minimizing lotion at MYR52 for 15ml.

When I made my payment on Tuesday I was nervous that I might get cheated. The company information was so limited I had doubts that this site is genuine. But when I received the goods in good condition I felt relieved. Even though this "test" turned out to be a success I couldn't help but worry of all the WHAT IFs. Like what if this company closes down suddenly and ran away with my money? Or the website disappeared over night and I have no one to help me claim my money. So would I buy stuffs from online stores in future? MAYBE... just maybe

Update 18 August 2010
I did an extra search via Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia (in English is Companies of Commission of Malaysia) or SSM for short. All I can say is Telescan Network Sdn. Bhd. is a company registered in Kuala Lumpur with the registration number 572271-X. If you need extra information you'll have to pay SSM.

Update October 14, 2011
The company named YINLAI TRADING (HK) LIMITED (Company Registry Number 1181316) is a Hong Kong registered business incorporated in 02-Nov-2007. In 06-Oct-2010, the company name is changed to BEST BUY WORLD (HK) LIMITED. Sourced directly from Hong Kong's Companies Registry - http://www.icris.cr.gov.hk/csci/. As of today, the company's status is ACTIVE.

6 comments:

  1. But that little bit of cosmetics there cost me 10 McValue Meal leh...
    About 21 sets of chicken rice...
    How not to worry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read it all turned out well. I never have purchased anything online, except some flight tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The products u bought from my best buy, did they state expiry date?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, so far the products I've bought only mentioned production/manufacturing date. In common cosmetics practices, products expire 3 years from manufacturing date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to your CSI skills, i finally hv the courage to make some purchase ;)

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED