Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pudu Jail - The mysterious Watermelon

When I was still a kid, dad used to drive us every Sunday to Sungei Wang. Back then we lived near Cheras area and to reach Sungei Wang, we have to pass by the eastern walls of Pudu jail (along Jalan Pudu or Pudu Road). I can't remember how old I was then, but it used to be a great pass time to play "Spot the Watermelon" along these walls. You see, even in the early 1990s the intersection between Jalan Pudu and Jalan Imbi was already notorious for it's traffic jam especially on Sundays. So to pass time, we'll try to spot a watermelon painted by one of it's convicts (or so I read from the news later on). It was rather peculiar to have a watermelon painted against a backdrop of jungles and beaches! But never the less it was as good as playing "Where's Wally"

Anyway, early this year there was news of the authorities wanting to demolish the jail which is over a 100 years old. So during Chinese New Year, when most city dwellers were out of town, I asked hubby to drive me along this wall in hopes of finding the watermelon one last time. Alas, I couldn't find it. So there's no picture to be taken or at least shown to dear hubby. One part of me felt quite disappointed that I don't get to "preserve" that part of the memory in a solid photographs. I really do hope that there is someone out there who photographed that watermelon.

Sadly on Monday 21st June 2010, they started to process of demolishing the eastern walls - the very wall with the painted watermelon...

1 comment:

  1. Too bad, indeed. It would be lovely to capture it on photo. But the memory in your heart will never be gone. Have a wonderful week, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED