Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Playing the Recorder Again

For some funny reason today I went through my stash of old stuffs and dug out my old recorder. Not that apparatus for recording sound, pictures, or data, but THIS recorder.


Yup, I've kept this THING for the past don't know how many years. The last time I've actually played it was when I was 12. After primary school I was supposed to hand it down to my younger cousins. But some how didn't. I couldn't remember why, but just stashed it along with a few other stuffs and it lies there dormant until today. So this morning I gave it a nice clean bath, wiped dry and began to play a few songs.

Playing this recorder bought back many memories. I remember participating in a school performance with my schoolmates. We played The Red River Valley. It was a simple song for those with music background, but the same cannot be said for those who don't. Another thing that I remember about that particular school performance was someone's recorder was DROOLING! I was playing halfway and nearly burst out laughing at that person's saliva dripping from the end of the recorder. Don't ask me if I remember who it was, I don't even know if it's a guy or girl!

Music in school was one of the lamest lessons of my life. They only teach you to sing children songs, know the names of local musical instruments and a few common ones like piano and violin. There was no guzheng or erhu (I learned that from TVB!) or the Indian Tabla (learned that one from Bollywood movies). Even though we were taught to play the recorder, but the songs we played stretched no more than an octave. In fact, I don't remember the teacher even teaching us how to play the recorder properly. As long as the sound coming out of the recorder was not out of tune, you're good to go. I later discovered that the recorder can play another octave higher (an ah ha moment especially when Internet wasn't easily available in the early 90s for Malaysia). But it doesn't matter how well you play the recorder in school, you're never appreciated. Everyone is only concerned about what they get for UPSR. And after primary school, the only music lessons you'll get is in private schools.

At the moment, my daughter seemed to like listening to me play the recorder. Whether or not she'll be wanting music lessons, will be entirely up to her when she grows older. But for now, I'll just let her cheer when I play Antonin Dvorak's Symphony No.9 "From the New World" 2nd Movement.
MI SO SO- | MI RE DO- | RE MI SO MI RE---
MI SO SO- | MI RE DO- | RE MI RE DO DO---

No comments:

Post a Comment

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED