Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Online Shop Review: Groupon Malaysia

Disclaimer: The reviews on the online shop are my personal experience while purchasing products/services. I do not get paid by the reviewed shop. I am not responsible for any loss, damage or loss of profits that may result from reading my review. In particular, I am unable to accept any responsibility or liability in the unlikely event of a dispute between vendor and purchaser. It is your (the reader's) responsibility alone to check the vendor's credibility, quality of merchandise and method of payment.

Shop name: Groupon Malaysia
Company Name: Groupon Sdn. Bhd. (928899-V)
URL: http://www.groupon.my
Products/Services: Group buying
First Purchase Made: 5th September 2011
Number of orders made since first purchase: 0
Basic Information of Groupon from SSM
贪小便宜 (tan xiao pian yi). I think this is the 4 words that best describes me. Literally it is translated as greed(贪) small(小) cheap(便宜) meaning greedy over small cheap things/deals. But cheap can be deceiving right? More often than not, one might just end up being penny wise pound foolish. On the other hand, you'll never know if you may just hit a jackpot.

Print Screen of Mon Meill deal in Groupon

When I saw the advert for a necklace and earring set at 75% discount. I jumped and thought it was a great deal. The pictures in Groupon looked promising so I decided to check out Mon Meill's official site. It took FOREVER to load. The only thing I learned from this site is that it's a Hong Kong company. Any other details were unattainable because their webpages took so long to load! Probably I should have seen it as a hint that things would go wrong. Anyway, I signed up an account with Groupon and made my purchases... (YES I know~! I have a problem with impulse buying!) I thought this would be the same as other online business sites that I've been. Unfortunately it isn't. My previous buys with other online merchants (Best-Buy World, OhJapan, Cotton House Store and QQ Baby Shop) they provide me their bank account numbers and I make the payment via my own bank's official website (in my case its CIMBClicks). Groupon however leads me to a third party site and the so-called link to CIMBClicks doesn’t look like the real deal. So I switched to Paypal instead. The good thing about Paypal is that shall anything go wrong, I have 40 days from the date of purchase to freeze payment.

Mon Meill redemption form via Groupon
Once the payment was made, I was required to fill in the form provided for redemption. The voucher was sent to my email and I'm supposed to key in the voucher code and security number in the redemption form. HOWEVER there wasn't any clear indications of which is which. Again, make a guess. And then the waiting game began. This is where the second part of the problem began. In Groupon, it is stated that delivery is within 2 weeks. But by the 25th of September I was yet to receive my goods so I sent Groupon an email.

Reply from Groupon

A reply came in and the first thing I began asking myself is HOW to track a parcel from Hong Kong to Malaysia? There was no indication in the email on how to track my parcel. All they did was give me the tracking number and I'm back at guessing how to make use of it. I know this may sound dumb, in fact I could just email them again and ask via which website should I do my checking. But before I could email them, Hubby already gave me the answer. It's a good thing is that Hubby had experience with parcels from overseas and the first thing I had to do was go to Hong Kong Post official website and key in the tracking number.


Ah… left Hong Kong for Malaysia on September 22nd. Then the next step was to find out where in Malaysia is the parcel, right? So I clicked to Pos Malaysia and there it was on the way to my office. By the 28th of September, the parcel was in my hand.


The jewelry came in and I was rather disappointed.I've blog about the jewelry in another post - click here to read about Mon Meill review. My focus right now is Groupon.

So will I buy anything via Groupon again? Highly unlikely for the following reasons
  1. I don't like how payments are made via third parties because it opens up opportunities for phishing and or hacking. I would prefer if I can go back to my own choice of bank’s official website and make the payment. Or go to the nearest bank and deposit the money in the ATM.
  2. There was no mention anywhere in their Mon Meill Deal that this product is from Hong Kong. I only found about when clicking on Mon Meill website. I think it should be Groupon's responsibility to inform (potential) customers the source of the product.
  3. In their discussion tab, Groupon repeatedly mentioned that the product will arrive winthin 2 weeks from redemption period (11 Sept 2011). But even at THAT date 14 days after September 11, 2011 is September 25, 2011. I got mine on the 28th. Seriously, this only means they don't hold to their words. I don't care what happened, but as long as they don't honor their part of 2 weeks as stated in their site, it is my duty to write in this review or I consider it as being dishonest to people reading my review.
  4. Again related to their discussion tab,  NOT ALL questions posted by users are answered. Even though people ask the same questions over and over again, AND even though some of the question are "silly" I think it's good PR that they answer all questions in the discussion board. Anyway, it's good that they answer my email.
Snippet of the Mon Meill discussion board in Groupon
For those curious folks out there read here and here. A little heads up for you to see what's going on with Groupons around the globe.

16 comments:

  1. Very detailed review. I'm sure that your post can help people to avoid unpleasant experiences. I also tend to Google for more information about certain issues or companies. So far it has helped me to escape several 'traps'. I feel grateful for that. Have a wonderful weekend, dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rosidah.
    I don't think anyone like being deceived. So with a review, I hope others will be extra careful.
    Hope you have a great week too~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. luckily i see ur blog...ur blog are really useful for me to purchase the thing through online...thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lonely star!

    You are welcome. I'm just sharing my experience because I believe nobody likes to be cheated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only wish I have read your blog before I purchased the 3D2N stay in Bali from Groupon. I only did the searching after I paid for the Groupon. Turns out that the official hotel website offer the exact same prices, but with less hassle in purchasing. *sighs* Serves me right for being petty and impulsive. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. KoSoNGz,

    I think this is just all part of learning. If we didn't discover the hiccups with Groupon we wouldn't know of our problems with impulsive shopping huh? (^_^)

    At least on my part when I'm tempted to buy something, I'll TRY walk away first!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for this review. I was about to purchase this same deal from Groupon too. I think it has more to do with the retailer and less with Groupon. Recently I bought some foot mask from the french cosmetics company actizen. Groupon stated that we will receive the e-mail confirmation within 3 working days but actizen actually posted out the products in the same time-frame AND by courier service! All in all a very good experience. There are good deals around in Groupon but you do have to keep an eye out for them ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much!! I had bad experience with groupon too and your post just confirms it.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evy,

    I'm glad your experience with Groupon was a plesent one. Thank you for sharing your story.

    Avijit,

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thx...i love how ur help here.
    i also crazy in online shopping and voucher online

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stumbled upon your blog just AFTER I purchased a Samsung ST95 Camera from Groupon!

    I paid through debit card and will be waiting for them to deliver it to me next month.

    I hope everything turns out alright!

    Btw, I'd like to ask how to we redeem online? Is it by filling in the booking form or is it through another way?

    Thx ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hihi....I also bought it at Groupon on Jan '12 and juz get it few day ago. It took around 3 mth to deliver(with my chasing n chasing mail)I thought only 1 issue but...I get a nice pandant but a broke necklace n stick back....it make me realise tat "Peng Yea, mou Hou Yea"....
    At last...this is how I get........=__=
    Erm....if I see ur post on tat time, seriously I won't buy it. Anyway, 10s for ur blog ^^

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mon-Meill/221486634544785#!/photo.php?fbid=3496321360437&set=o.221486634544785&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its nice to share live reviews.Groupon with its deals need to make sure that they satisfy each and every customer who buys the voucher .Only then the customer would think of getting it the next time.
    living social clone

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to buy lots of stuff from Groupon but the recent experience of buying the Philips Indoor Grill makes me so frustrated. I have the wrong product delivered to me 3 times from Skynet. The delivery duration was in February. Multiple emails & phone calls were made asking them for a refund but they still choose to deliver the product to me when I have inform them that I don't need it anymore. It was easier to get it thru in any electronic shop. I'm thinking of going thru tribunal claims of getting my money back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Waileng,
    I am an admin from a new site namely ModernBabe.net, a new lifestyle website in Malaysia.

    I noticed that, there are not many portals in Malaysia that allow people to write about their online purchases let alone to do a review about their experiences.

    Most of these writers are bloggers and they only write about it in their blogs.

    I hope you don’t mind me putting up your articles and experiences in online shopping (there are a lot of other write ups too from other bloggers there) for the purpose of sharing. Don’t worry; I will give credit to your blog for the write up.

    You can contact me at:
    Email: babemoderator@gmail.com
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/ModernBabe
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/MoreThanBabe

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi there just read your blog post, It was so true that hat presented in groupon in too good to believe. recently been purchased a backpack from them , but to my disappoinment, the quality of the bag pack is so terrible, even those from night market is far more better. to all potential buyer here. be careful of groupon.my

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED