Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Online Shop Review: The Lilac Box

Disclaimer: The reviews on the online shop are my personal experience while purchasing products/services. I do not get paid by the reviewed shop. I am not responsible for any loss, damage or loss of profits that may result from reading my review. In particular, I am unable to accept any responsibility or liability in the unlikely event of a dispute between vendor and purchaser. It is your (the reader's) responsibility alone to check the vendor's credibility, quality of merchandise and method of payment.
Company Name:
 (awaiting email reply from the guys at The Lilac Box)
Company Registration Number:

URL: http://www.thelilacbox.com 

First Purchase Date: 23 Jan 2013

Subsequent Purchase: 0

For those who’ve keenly following beauty bloggers, you’ll probably know about this latest beauty box called The Lilac Box. Well, I won’t be able to give much insight on the products inside the box since I’m neither a beauty expert nor am I much of a beauty junkie. Never the less, you’ll be reading about The Lilac box through the eyes of a housewife.

Actually, The Lilac Box isn’t exactly my first beauty box as I’ve got a complementary box from Fabulous Finds (ceased operation) courtesy of Jessying.com (Thank you Jess so much for the giveaway). So with ONE experience on a blind date, I thought why not go again? Well, the first experience was FREE, so I won’t say much however; since I paid for The Lilac Box, I maybe a little ruthless with my words. So please keep an open mind will you?



To what I have digested there are three key points on which make The Lilac Box exceptional from other beauty boxes. The first in particular is their never ending emphasis on premium brand. Not brands where you can easily just grab off the shelf of a pharmacy or supermarket. Simply put; brands that would most likely bore a hole through your wallet. Which by the way, I wonder is SK-II considered premium brand?
Box size comparison between The Lilac Box (above) and Fabulous Finds (bottom)
Second key point, they actually do talk to you. I mean, there IS interaction via their official Facebook Page. Unlike some Facebook Pages, the admin doesn’t reply or acknowledge your questions. But in The Lilac Box, they do try to answer every questions and suggestions. And let’s just say they have talked to a particular brand and they need an abundance of “LIKES” and enthusiastic “COMMENTS”, this is where people like me step in to show some support. Occasionally (if you’re a subscriber), you may get other freebies posted on their Facebook page. But alas, being someone staying in the distant north it’s hardly a chance I get to sample thee…

Overview contents of The Lilac Box (debut box)
Third key point, they don’t bait your purse/wallet. While other beauty boxes runs monthly issues and entice you with a bargain of “buy 12 issues free 1 issue” kinda thingy… The Lilac Box does not. This is actually what I like best. I may feel like wanting to surprise myself or perhaps not. It’s up to me. I don’t have to feel dreaded that I’ve paid the year’s subscription only to find that less than half of what I received is really what I like. Or worse, having some of the samples where you can actually just harass the brand’s sales assistant for it; FREE!

So how was my blind beauty date experience?

Truth be told, it wasn’t presented to me in the most delicate manner. It’s not the delivery guys’ fault actually; hubby intercepted the parcel as I was running some Chinese New Year errands. So imagine my hubby walking towards me with a mysterious box in hand whist shaking it RIGOROUSLY. Yes, as much as hubby may deny; he too was curious of its contents. He has his way of finding out its stuffing since it’s NOT his name on the parcel. What is his verdict after shaking? “Feels empty, they should have filled it to the brim” he chirped.

Max Factor Nailfinity in Boji

Anyway, I snatched the box from hubby and tore the wrapping like that Tasmanian Devil cartoon character. With the wrapper out of the way, ribbon pulled out and box lid removed, I stared at its contents for a full whole minute. Well comparing the Lilac Box and Fabulous Finds; The Lilac Box is obviously smaller (box dimensions L:21cm W:15cm H:5.5cm), product count 5 items (I consider the shampoo and conditioner as one item) as opposed to 7 and there is no product information card included. Personally I am not very particular about the product card as I find it more fun Googling or maybe just reading straight from The Lilac Box website.

Testing out Roberto Cavalli Perfumed Lotion
Frankly speaking, I could not pin point exactly which item in particular I liked best. I couldn’t tell right away if any one of these products would one day be sitting on my dressing table; my “love-at-first-sight” is not in the box. Did anyone else feel blank when they first opened the box or it's just me? All 5 items lay in the purple lined box staring back at me as I made a mental comparison between them and the existing products that I use. So I decided to spend the next two weeks using up all 5 items and see which of these I could live without and which of these could ever possible replace my existing regime. Now please understand that I’m not trying to show off or be a fussy pot, just speaking my mind. After all it’s natural to make comparisons; even Taylor Swift compares her exes in her songs (Begin Again).

Two weeks later…

Burberry Beauty – Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base 


I came to like this one after using it the second time around. While the brochure says that I can use it as a standalone or a base before my regular foundation, I still prefer the latter choice because as a standalone, my face still looks shiny enough to reflect the lights of a camera flash.

Decléor Fresh purifying gel and Fresh matifying lotion 

The scary thing about cleansers is that they tend to trigger my skin into hyper-drive mode and I get facial oils pumped out of my pores faster than I can blot them with a facial paper! Luckily Decléor cleanser is gentle on my skin and it does not feel too dry after each wash. This cleanser really do clean my face without making too dry and the matifying lotion a.k.a toner makes my face feel fresh and clean, I don't really see significant changes on my face. Either way, I'm sticking back on my SK-II.

Kerastase Resistance Shampoo and Rinse-Out by L’oréal 

So when is the last time you've visited the saloon for a hair wash? Yesterday? Last week? Last Month? Or Last Year? Ever since being a full time mom I don't have the luxury to sit at a saloon all hours to get  that Chelsea Blow Dry (a.k.a The Duchess of Cambridge hair-do) even if I managed to get someone to baby sit my child while I get my annual hair trim, its usually a good excuse for SOMEONE to nail me down as a bad mom who cares for her hair more than her child. Yes, unfortunately there is such person in my household that is just so anti-beautiful (a person who despise others for looking pretty or maintaining good skincare/haircare/body-care) . With this green colored bottle, I get to enjoy a good hair wash right at home and still smell like I just walked out of a hair saloon.

Max Factor Limited Edition Nailfinity in Boji (1256) 

Max Factor Limited Edition Nailfinity in Boji
This is the first item I tested and probably the least likely to end up on my dressing table. It’s not that I don’t like this product; it’s just that I hardly do my nails. In fact the last time I’ve ever got a manicure and pedicure was right before my convocation in 2007! And for my wedding I just kept a clean cut nails; no colors what-so-ever. Anyway, this Chinese New Year became the exception since I have this cute little bottle to play with and a good excuse since everyone have their nails done for Chinese New Year. However the only person who actually DID noticed my nails is dear hubby who didn’t quite like this mud-purple color. He thinks it looks like my nails are bruised. Me? I think its okay.

Roberto Cavalli Perfumed Body Lotion 


NEVER underestimate the power of smell. For you girls who have been dying to get your crush's attention, you better listen up. The packaging itself is an attention seeker, but you don't have to follow the bottle and dress yourself in gold tiger prints. Just butter yourself in this body lotion and I'm pretty sure you'll make heads turn; and the best part is that you don't really have to worry about over spraying yourself with perfume. What the eye sees may be forgotten, but the smell of something attractive can linger in the mind for a very long time. But of course, please remember NOT to eat this lotion; it won’t help you cover up bad breath. On the side note, I've heard that Geogia May Jagger (daughter of Mick Jagger of Rolling Stones) is their newest model for their latest fragrance Just Cavalli this Spring 2013.

Facial and Hair Vouchers 

These two pieces of paper was caught lying at the bottom of the box. But I gave both vouchers to my mom since she’s residing in the Klang Valley and there’s a bigger chance of her making use of this voucher instead of me.


Ultimate question #1: What do I think of this box and which is my most/least favourite? Tough one this question is. Overall I do like this box and its contents. Personally I prefer a box with a few items but big enough volume for me to really try it all out. It’s pretty pointless if you stash in a dozen items and all of them are in sachets that could only allow you for one application. As you read from above the least favourite and unlikely candidate to site on my dresser is the nail polish. Please note that I’m not against the brand but just that I don’t use nail polish often. My most favourite and likely item to sit on my dresser would be the Kerastase shampoo and conditioner. I do miss the fun of walking out of a hair saloon in a new hair style. Plus I managed to source this product from a local hair saloon, so I don't have to go ALL the way down to KL just to get it.
Ultimate question #2: Is this box value for money? From a stingy housewife prospective, I would honestly answer not really. The only product that couldn’t last the week is the Burberry Beauty sachet. If all 5 products can last at least a week of usage (or more would be better) then I’ll gladly answer yes.
Ultimate question #3: Would I be subscribing the second box? Erm, truth be told I do feel a little left out that those free sample giveaways hosted on their official Facebook page are only available in the Klang Valley. More so at the moment that my current beauty regime seems to work well on me so I'll have to sadly pass this one.

For those of you keen to find out more about The Lilac Box visit http://www.thelilacbox.com or their official Facebook Page click here. Their debut box was sold out in 3 days, second box sold out in a week. For the second box product review, please visit my friend Jamie's blog.

2 comments:

  1. Wah so ganas.. hehehe I think the most fun & exciting moment when we got the beauty box/bag is the part we snatched it from the courier man and quickly ran inside and see what is inside like a Tasmanian Devil cartoon character ( like how you described!)

    As much as I love beauty products I hate sachets, i got a whole big box of samples lying at home. And I feel the same too, I do really like having vouchers because in the first place if I subscribe I want product and I might not be free to redeem or use my voucher even if Im in Klang Valley, what more when you are in Penang ... I think beauty box owner need to think how to carter and pack for subscriber who r not living in Klang Valley :)

    Enjoy reading your reviews! Keep up the good job :D

    ReplyDelete

A little encouragement,
A small thought,
A simple sentence
To light up my day - Terima Kasih

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE MODERATED